Monday 28 April 2014

OUGD503. Responsive - Design Process 2. Self Assessment


BA (Hons.) GRAPHIC DESIGN
LEVEL
05
 Module Code 
OUGD503               


 Module Title
Design Process


END OF MODULE SELF-EVALUATION

NAME

Joseph harrison


1.  What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

I have developed a variety of design, practical, an organisational skills through this module. My understanding of the adobe suite and ability to work cross platform has improved considerably. I understand the various tools and techniques a lot more from working on a variety of briefs.
I have developed my hand rendered design skills significantly also. Having drawn a lot of my initial ideas, I feel as though I have a greater understanding of my hand and the line/stroke.
Working with clients has taught me about communication and how to relate/interpret ideas.
Working with peers has taught me about time management and co ordination and how to relay my ideas and progression, along with giving me a greater understanding of other peoples design processes.
Juggling a number of briefs, with set deadlines, at the same time has helped me to better coordinate my practice and has made me consider my time management further.





2. What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

I have utilised a mixture of hand rendered/craft and computer aided design to inform my production and generate my outcomes. I have explored pencil drawing, pen work, paper craft and cutting, mechanisms, illustrator, photoshop, indesign. All of which have informed my process. From the module I have developed a more established routine; staring with hand drawn idea generation and recording, which I then translate, through various digital media, into a digitally rendered outcome.
I have realised a great many processes suitable to a variety of briefs and aims that I can now dictate more appropriately.







3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

My ability to draw an idea from mental visualisation has become a key part of my design process. I think this has become a main strength for me and I have capitalised on it throughout a number of briefs.
I think my concept generation has also become a major strength. I am much more able to successfully interpret a brief and derive the true requirements from it. This has enabled me to
Look at a brief much more relevantly and translate it into appropriate design outcomes guided by strong concepts.
I think one of my main design strengths, derived from the briefs I took on, is logo design, with a secondary consideration for branding and identity. I have been successful in recognising what the client wants and producing successful working logos based on such interpretation.





4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?

My time management and organisation, while having improved greatly, is still not that on point. There have been numerous occasions when I have missed a deadline or taken longer completing a brief than should be.
My computer skills could also be greatly improved as I have an understanding of the different programmes but cannot fully utilise them to the highest outcome and sometimes get confused or make mistakes that I don’t know how to rectify without extensive research.






5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

Start a brief when I get it and work on it a little bit but more regularly so that im not stressing about completing things before the deadline.
Keep my blog up to date regularly to avoid last minute errors or glitches and keep word back ups of all my drafts.
Plan my conduct more diligently and consider all the things I have to do chronologically so that I am not rushing or overwhelmed by work load.
Try new processes to increase my breadth of ability and better inform my designs.
Try to improve my concentration skills and attention span so that I am not daydreaming or getting distracted so easily when working.




6.How would you grade yourself on the following areas:
(please indicate using an ‘x’) 

5= excellent, 4 = very good, 3 = good, 2 = average, 1 = poor

1
2
3
4
5
Attendance

\



Punctuality

\



Motivation

\



Commitment

\



Quantity of work produced

\



Quality of work produced


\


Contribution to the group
\




The evaluation of your work is an important part of the assessment criteria and represents a percentage of the overall grade. It is essential that you give yourself enough time to complete your written evaluation fully and with appropriate depth and level of self-reflection. If you have any questions relating to the self evaluation process speak to a member of staff as soon as possible.



No comments:

Post a Comment