Wednesday 30 October 2013

OUGD504. Design Production. Design for Web. Session/Task 2. Getting Started.

Today we had a studio session with Phil in which we were looking at our sites content and what we thought could be our pages and navigation. We were introduced to the idea of having different web pages extending from our homepage and what pwould be appropriate and useful for a particular site. Phil said it was important to consider why our audience would use our site and therefore what they seeked to get out of it. This would help us to identify how we should section the site into useful topics for the user. 


PART 1.
We were first asked to consider what sub topical pages should our website include based on Users needs and relevant to the aim of the site. Phil said we should keep the selection to a max of 5 pages and write down what would be included on each link and it's pus pose for the user. 





I think this exercise was useful I. Helping me solidify my content which in turn further founded my site theme and aim in line with users needs. 

PART 2 
Having thought about other site pages we were then asked to draw a number of scamps that visualised our homepage and the navigation system and design to the other 5 pages we had considered in part1 of the task. This was useful as well in helping me consider aesthetic and layout for usability. Because my ideas still weren't that solidified I feel as though my designs were a bit without concept guidance but I think scamps are a good way to visually progress with site design. 


I like the heading and navigation menu layout, it's simple but maintains that hand drawn aesthetic. Might be hard to read though. I was thinking about including some sort of animated/interactive link system involving the pens and the users link selection. It's possibly a bit messy and crowded and I would have to consider more about screen resolution . 


I had similar thoughts for this design using the pen line to represent on link and having some sort of drawing animation with the line when the link is accessed. Once again though I think this design is overcrowded and somewhat gimmicky and without justified purpose. 


PART 3 
Having done the first two tasks we were then asked o give each other feedback on our sub page proposals and our scamps and consider each other's strengths and weaknesses. I feel as though I analysed others work well and gave some useful constructive criticism that I really thought about. Unfortunately the feedback I received was limited and only two people actually gave me any which was annoying since I'd given a lot. 

This was nice to know because it reaffirmed my aesthetic which the basics I'm quite happy with but I hav t realised any flaws through this feedback which is what I need to improve. 

This is a good question that I need to keep asking myself I. Order to maintain sense and reason in design. It is unclear from the scamps my exact aims and intents for the website which is important becuSe users need to know what they're on and why. Still though I could have done with some better criticism to consider. 


The session was useful in helpin me consider the Content of my site 
But I was annoyed at how little feedback I got especially when I gave a lot.



No comments:

Post a Comment