Thursday 28 November 2013

OUGD503. Responsive - Design Process 2. Studio Session - pitch and propose.

today we had a session with fred.
we were introduced to the ideas of pitching and propsing our ideas and how to competently form them. we were encouraged, from the session, to explore the briefs we were doing and to fully understand the meanings, aims, requirements and directions that our responses should take from what the brief communicates.

we then looked at project proposals and why/how we should be organising and writing them. ten main points -

1. set out my aims and objectives clearly

- aims - the changes my project will make to the status quo - social, political, publics opinion, individuals opinion.

- objectives - the methods and procedures with which i will achieve my aims - research, production, understanding, completion.

- overall aims - consider what the general requirements for the brief are in line with my own personal      aims. what will the imapct be?

- specific aims - consider, in detail, what i want to/think my brief should achieve. why will my response be successful in line with the brief? who/what will it imapct on?

- objectives - think about what my outcome should involve/include in order to make it the most appropriate to the brief. consider what design tools i should use to successfully communicate my message. how will you make an imapct?

2. be smart

- specific - establish exactly what needs to be done

- measurable - consider what would make my outcomes successful and measure my proposal in line with that criteria

- achievable - are the materials, equipment, time scales, and any other input to my outcome available and am i capable?

- realistic - honestly consider whether i think i will be able to achieve my aims.

- time bound - clearly define the time scales, constraints and requirements for each aspect of my response and the brief deadline. will i be able to stick to these?

3. use words from the brief

- scan the brief for important words relating to what its asking of you, who its for, why/how it should exist, what its trying to achieve.

- think about these words and their definitions and use to inform my development.

4. justify the need for your proposal

- make sure i depict and explain the research i have undergone and how/why it has informed my design development and proposed outcome.

- who needs it? why? what evidence of this is there?

- dont make any empty statements -back things up!

5. who are 'they'?

- specifically define my target audience in line with the briefs requirements and my aims and objectives for my response.

- demographic, location, lifestyle.

- are they involved in a (relevant?) industry? what are their values? why would they engage with my response?

6. describe your motivations

- think about why i want to do the brief. work out what my vested interest is and how i want to respond to the brief.

- consider what my targets and aspirations are then establish how i will recognise their success and completion.

- what are my values? - political, social, economic, environmental.

7. dont be vague

- words to avoid -
Unique, nice, special, normal, bland, sleek, definitely, awesome, basically, essentially, totally, interesting, utilize, like, get, got, I, chance, actually, really, truly, amazing, everyone, never, always, things, life, a lot, good, bad, cool, whatever, went, boring, trendy, stylish, maybe, individual

8. consider the viewer

- remember that my propsal is explaining and promoting my response to the brief and so needs to be clearly understood by its audience.

- design should be saved for the response - there is no need for an overly aesthetically driven porpsal. consider a professional layout.

- use a tone of voice appropriate to the propsal audience - say what you need to say and dont use overly flowery vocabulary or pad it out unneccessarily.

- get other people to check spelling and grammer before submitting.

9. visualise the ending

- begin with what i want to achieve in mind.

10. assume nothing

- to assume makes an ass out of u and me


question everything, accept nothing.

for the second part of the session we were asked to bring our chosen brief as the 'main' one for the responsive brief one. with it we had to bring our answered questions for the brief, our concept form, our re-written crit and 5 reasons why my resolution will win.

we got into groups and each presented our dvelopment so far and what we'd brought. from presenting our work we each gave feedback based on what we had gone over in the presentation.

from my propsal the group advised me:

1. research each indivdual event listed in the brief to gain a better understanding and be able to make a more informed decisiion on which to pick.
2. look more into the emotive aspect of each event and try to understand its impact on the audinence as opposed to looking at the face value of the events.
3. consider my own personal interpretations of each event in order to involve my own take.
4. try to find a theme or connection between my chosen events to supply some continuity or ocnectivity in the design. if there is no theme; consider what makes each one individual.
5. look into potential audineces outside the assued target audience. why might they benefit from my design? could they offer a different perspective to inform my development?
6. look at the history of XL records - what it was, what it is now, what it sees itself as.
7. consider the record companies target market.
8. generate an aestheitc from an informed understanding of the events and their deeper meanings/impact.

this feedback was really useful in giving me a better undertsnaind of where i was and what i needed to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment